Some electric tasks and issues may seem easy to tackle, but they can quickly turn into a big headache.
We often want to take matters into our own hands, whether it is because we want to save money, time, or just because we like DIY work.
However, DIY isn’t the best solution for everything.
Moreover, DIY solutions can be quite dangerous when it comes to electricity.
Don’t take electrical repairs lightly.
When you come across the following situations, be sure to call a licensed electrical professional.
Frequent Power Outages
If there is a power outage in your home, the cause is probably an issue at your local electric station.
However, while most power outages are caused by external factors, some in-home factors can also lead to blackouts.
In the event of a blackout, you should first check whether your neighbour’s lights are on, or you can just give them a call to ask if they have power.
The problem is most likely in your home alone if there are no problems on their end.
If that’s the case, there may be something wrong with your home’s circuit breaker panel, especially if these power outages happen often.
When circuits pull more power than they can handle, such issues can occur.
Some circuits could also be faulty or outdated.
Whatever the case, this is not something you should try to handle by yourself. Your electrician should be able to quickly and safely resolve this issue.
Multiple Plugs in Single Outlets
Plugging two plugs into a single outlet may be convenient, but it can be risky.
If you plug multiple electrical devices (especially if it’s heavy-duty equipment) into a power bar, and then plug that power bar into a single outlet, you may cause an electrical overload.
The circuit can overload when multiple devices are drawing all the power from one source.
As a result, the breaker will trip.
Besides, when there are too many power bars and extensions around the house, you can literally trip. Moreover, household extension cords can cause fires.
Flickering lights are one indication that you are using too many electrical devices at once.
If you have plugged in a new item and have noticed that the lights have started fluctuating, your house may need a new electrical circuit.
To avoid these issues, you can hire a licensed electrical professional to add another circuit and install an extra outlet.
Warmth From Outlets
The power outlets and cords in your home should never be warm to the touch.
It can be difficult for the average homeowner to figure out what’s causing the issue, but you can rest assured that warmth coming from the outlets is a bad sign.
Outdated electrical wiring and damaged wiring are just some of the issues that can cause warm cords or outlets.
While a warm outlet won’t necessarily lead to a fire, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
As a layman, the best thing you can do is unplug the cord (or cords) from the warm outlet to see whether it will cool down.
Leave the rest to your electrician.
They will replace the switch unit or redo the problematic wiring.
Bear in mind that there is a big difference between a hot outlet (or cord) and a warm one.
If there is an outlet or cord in your home that is hot to the touch, unplug every cord from the outlet, power off the circuit breaker, and call an electrical professional immediately.
This is a sign that a fire may be stemming from circuit resistance.
Don’t attempt to clean wet wires or cables on your own.
This especially goes for exposed wiring underneath.
The current in the circuit can rapidly increase if moisture is present.
If you touch an exposed wet wire, you can easily get electrocuted.
If you suspect you have wet or faulty cables and wires, hire someone who can pinpoint the problem and safely repair or replace the wiring.
Upgrading Outlets In An Older Home
Your home probably needs a few upgrades if it is over 15 years old.
You may feel like you can rise to the challenge, but it’s best to leave outlet upgrades to the professionals.
The process of adding in grounder outlets in older homes requires expertise.
When currents run into places they shouldn’t, ground faults can occur.
Ground faults are usually a result of faulty, damaged, or old wiring.
They can make the installation of grounded outlets very risky.
It’s possible that you have an electrical problem if you can hear unusual humming or buzzing sounds in your home.
You can look for the source, but you shouldn’t try to fix the problem on your own.
What Can You Do?
While most electrical tasks around the house should be handled by a professional, there are some jobs you can take care of yourself.
You can replace outlets, swap out non-functioning light switches, and carry out a few other basic fixes.
But, before you start doing any electrical work around the house, shut off the power to that part of the house.
Then, proceed with caution.
Research all the proper safety steps before you start and make sure you have the right tools for the job.